What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a specialized form of dentistry focusing on the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental and facial abnormalities. From crooked teeth to underbites and overbites to small gaps etc.
At Brant Smiles — we do not use traditional metal braces. We do invisible (Invisalign) braces only!
What’s the best age to visit for orthodontics?
If you want to improve the look and feel of your smile, then any age can be a great age to see the orthodontist. We recommend that children first visit us around the age of eight; however, orthodontic treatment is not exclusive to children and teens, with about one in every five orthodontic patients being over the age of 21. Whether you’re considering treatment for yourself or for a child, any time is a good time to visit Brant Smiles.
How can I take care of my teeth if I’m wearing braces or a retainer
- ALWAYS remember to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
- Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask your orthodontist or family dentist if you need a fluoride rinse. This will help prevent cavities!
- If you take out your retainer to eat, make sure you brush your teeth, floss, and remember to keep it safe in its container so that it does not get lost or broken.
- Keep your retainer clean, too, by brushing it gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste. You may also soak it in denture cleaner as instructed by us. Do not put your retainer in boiling water or in the dishwasher.
- During your treatment, try to avoid foods with a lot of sugar, which increases the number of bacteria that grow in your mouth, causing more plaque and possibly cavities.
- Avoid sticky and chewy foods (caramel, chewing gum, gummy bears), hard foods (hard candy, nuts, ice cubes), or any foods that could possibly get stuck in your braces (corn on the cob, soft bagels, ribs, taffy, etc.).
- Be sure to schedule your routine checkups with Brant Smiles. It is recommended that you continue to visit us every six months.
Have a question or want to request a consult? Contact us today!